Friday, January 2, 2015

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski
Published by Farrar Straus Giroux on March 4, 2014

Summary: "As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined." --From Goodreads




Things I Loved:
The setting.  The setting was richly created and described, and I could clearly imagine each setting.  Tha manor houses were detailed, and I felt like I was walking around the ornate houses along with Kestrel.

The characters.  The characters were as richly detailed as the setting.  I loved being able to watch Kestrel peel back the layers on her friends, Ronan and Jess, along with Arin.  The characters were perfectly imperfect.  I can't wait to see how the addition of the Emperor and his son will influence all of the other characters.

The realistic relationship between Arin and Kestrel.  It wasn't insta-love, but a slow burn.  I really appreciated how they became friends, and then it turned into more.  I liked that the book was not entirely focused on their relationship, and it became more about the revolution towards the end.

Thing I disliked:
Kestrel, but in the beginning.  At the beginning of the book, Kestrel seemed to be a stereotypical member of the aristocracy.  She didn't want to become a soldier, she didn't want to be married, she only wanted to play the piano.  Kestrel had a great mind for battle strategy but didn't want to use it.  It was only after the revolution did she grow up.  

Overall: I loved this book!  The second book of this series is out in March.

Disclosure: I received a copy from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment