Friday, January 9, 2015

Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot

Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot
Published by HarperCollins on October 14, 2014

Summary: "When Julia Buchanan enrolls at St. Anne’s at the beginning of junior year, Charlotte Ryder already knows all about the former senator’s daughter. Most people do... or think they do.

Charlotte certainly never expects she’ll be Julia’s friend. But almost immediately, she is drawn into the larger than-life-new girl’s world—a world of midnight rendezvous, dazzling parties, palatial vacation homes, and fizzy champagne cocktails. And then Charlotte meets, and begins falling for, Julia’s handsome older brother, Sebastian.

But behind her self-assured smiles and toasts to the future, Charlotte soon realizes that Julia is still suffering from a tragedy. A tragedy that the Buchanan family has kept hidden... until now." -- Goodreads




What I Loved:
The writing.  I loved the words and language that Philpot chose.  "I don't belong here, Sebastian. I'm just a visitor who stayed too long."  

The friendship.  I really liked the friendship between Charlotte and Julia.  It definitely skewed towards Charlotte being the caretaker, but it was an interesting dynamic.

Sebastian.  Sebastian is a cutie, and I love the fact that he's clumsy.  I love the fact that the whole family is clumsy.


What I Disliked:
The ending.  I was really sad when another character died.  And a little unfair for the family, if you ask me.

Overall.  I truly enjoyed reading this book.  I loved how Great Gatsby-esque this book felt, and I loved reading about the "upper crust".

Disclosure: I borrowed a copy from my library.

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds good too! I'm a little concerned about the death you mention. But will add it to my TBR list as well.

    ReplyDelete