Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin

Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin
Published by Feiwel & Friends on October 7, 2014

Summary: "Rose Howard has OCD, Asperger’s syndrome, and an obsession with homonyms (even her name is a homonym). She gave her dog Rain a name with two homonyms (Reign, Rein), which, according to Rose’s rules of homonyms, is very special. Rain was a lost dog Rose’s father brought home. Rose and Rain are practically inseparable. And they are often home alone, as Rose’s father spends most evenings at a bar, and doesn’t have much patience for his special-needs daughter.
Just as a storm hits town, Rain goes missing. Rose’s father shouldn’t have let Rain out. Now Rose has to find her dog, even if it means leaving her routines and safe places to search. Rose will find Rain, but so will Rain’s original owners."  -- From Goodreads







Things I loved:
Rose.  Rose is a special kid.  She loves homonyms and knows the differences between wrong and right.  I also love the fact that Martin wrote Rose as a kid with a disability, not a disabled kid.

The relationships.  The relationships between Rose, her father, and her uncle are very complicated.  Rose's father just wants Rose to be normal, but Rose's uncle understands her and is more lenient with her behaviors.  

The homonyms.  I also love the fact that the homonyms are repeated throughout the book.  It made me feel as if I were in Rose's head when she was telling the story.

Thing I disliked:
The story arc.  Even though the story was short, it still seemed like the middle of the book dragged for me a bit.  It felt like nothing was happening, and the reader was waiting for Rose to find Rain.

Overall, this was a great middle-grade book.  I hope it gets recognized for a couple different awards in January.

Disclosure: I borrowed the audiobook from my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment