Thursday, January 8, 2015

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
Published by Dial on September 16, 2014

Summary: "Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world."  --From Goodreads







What I Loved:
JudeandNoah.  These characters are so complex, and I love it.  I love that the story is told from both Jude and Noah's points of view.  They seem to come alive off of the page, and they both have to deal with some pretty major issues.  

The language.  The word choice that Jandy Nelson uses is exquisite.  "His face is a room overstuffed with furniture".  His descriptions are unique, and that made it easier to imagine the characters he describes.

What I disliked:
Noah as narrator.  I found Noah's chapters to be pretty scatterbrained.  Or he was too excited, so I felt the compulsive need to rush through those chapters because he was so excited.  Or it was a way to show the differences in ages from when they were 13 to age 16.

Overall.  I fricken loved this book.  Yes, it did seem like it took longer than normal to read this book, but I am so glad I did.  It was a great book to kick off the 2015 with!

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from my library.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't overly fussed on this book last year, but I've seen and heard so, so many good things about it! Hope I can get to it next year! R x

    ReplyDelete