Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Published by Random House Books for Young Readers on July 10, 2012

Summary: "Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.

Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life."  --From Goodreads

My Thoughts:

How do you put into words a book so wonderful?  This book was a re-read after first reading it in 2012.  With the sequel, Shadow Scale, out in March 2015, I figured I had better reacquaint myself with the world.  I'm so glad I did!  Seraphina's world is so lush and complex, that I did not remember what happened in the book!  I also love the characters.  Even the characters with more minor roles like Viridus (court composer) and Prince Rufus (whose funeral begins the book) are exquisitely crafted.

I can't say enough of this book.  If you like fantasy, strong female characters, or just a good book, you need to read this!

Disclosure: I first read it from the library, but then I bought my own copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment