Saturday, January 21, 2017

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken

Wayfarer by Alexandra Bracken
Published by Disney-Hyperion in January 2017
Passenger #2

"All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them." -- From Goodreads

Will you like it?
I had a hard time with this book.  Without spoiling too much of the book, Etta and Nicholas find themselves separated by time.  Again.  They are apart nearly the entire book, which I found to be a complete drag.  Etta and Nicholas have amazing chemistry when they're together but they're complete Debbie Downers when they are apart.  Bracken has them do a lot of internal self-reflection, and it was getting to be a bit too much in this book.

I feel like the time traveling rules changed a bit from book to book.  I don't know if I could even put my finger on what felt different, but something felt off.

Honestly?  I'm glad I read this book.  I'm glad that I read Passenger and Wayfarer back to back, but I don't know if I would have finished Wayfarer had I waited more time.  If you like character driven stories, this one is for you.

Disclosure: I won the Kindle edition in a Twitter giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment